OLY ARTS is dedicated to coverage of the amazing theater, arts and culture our community creates. Few cities in the nation, even fewer in the Pacific Northwest, enjoy the diversity of theater, arts and creative expression we’re so privileged to experience right here at home. The focus of our coverage is “hyper-local.” We cover Olympia artists first and highlight art created and expressed in this city.
OLY ARTS is bringing on in an unpaid position a smart and capable person interested in local arts and culture for our Fall and Winter editions. This is an [unpaid] half-time internship which may lead to paid freelance work for OLY ARTS. This is a great editorial position for a person just starting out in journalism or the arts, and can provide real-world experience in print and online content management and real-world publication experience. You’ll end up with tear sheets for your journalistic resume, and you’ll also see the inside of a publication and learn many of the day-to-day details of maintaining one.
The OLY ARTS intern’s duties will include, but may not be limited to, the following:
- Learn copyediting as dictated by the AP stylebook.
- Copyedit text accordingly.
- Proofread material scheduled to be posted online or published in print.
- Cover local arts events: write short stories for print and/or OlyArts.com.
- Write short promotional pieces based on, but not copy-pasted from, press releases.
- Copyedit and proofread the print edition.
- Create “Friday Weekend Events” posts to appear online each Friday.
- Post on OlyArts.com and OLY ARTS’ social media sites.
- Write and update social media posts using online social media tools.
- Create audiovisual promotional materials about local arts events for OlyArts.com.
- Fulfill various tasks for the publisher and managing editor as needed day-to-day.
- Create the first OLY ARTS “Weekend Events” podcast and video blog.
((Half-time, unpaid and may lead to additional work, depending on performance.))
To apply for this new position at OLY ARTS, send a resume and letter of interest as Word files to email@example.com. Position closes March 1, 2017.
Please: no phone calls or snail mail at this time.
OLY ARTS seeks additional freelance writers with knowledge of the Olympia arts and cultural scene. We are specifically looking for writers who specialize in popular music, local music, classical music and handcrafts. If you’ve published in local, school, magazines or regional newspapers, deliver two tear sheets from your published journalism to the OLY ARTS managing editor at firstname.lastname@example.org.