Lynette Charters Serembe is a conceptual artist and author of The Missing Women Series book, presenting a new perspective of society and history from the female identifying point of view. She was born and grew up in The Yorkshire Dales in The North of England. She holds a BA (hons) degree from Cardiff College, Wales and an MFA from Chelsea College of Art, London. She studied under the British painter Graham Crowley, printmaker Amanda Faulkner, and was assistant to the sculptor Andy Goldsworthy on two of his larger outdoor sculptures. She has also travelled internationally working in the animation industry. Charters has exhibited in many parts of America, most recently in Gallery 839 in Burbank LA, Fogue Gallery in Seattle, Old Courthouse Arts Center in Chicago, Ryan James Fine Arts Gallery in Kirkland, Marin County Society of Artists in the Bay Area, The Hammond Museum, NY, also exhibitions in the UK. Her solo shows often involve a museum type installation with tongue-in-cheek docent performances by actor John Serembe as docent, and Yuri Serembe as security guard. She has been featured in articles in Oly Arts, Artist Close Up, Voyage LA, Shoutout LA, The Olympian, Saundra Fleming’s arts blog, and was on the cover of Kirkland Lifestyle magazine. She currently works from her studio in Olympia, Washington.
- Patsy Surh O’Connell’s Splendid “Discovery of Nature” at The Gallery at Tacoma Community CollegeSurh O’Connell’s rich and detailed watercolors at The Gallery at Tacoma Community College are like the artist herself, elegant and refined with an inner complexity, wisdom, and intellect. They show a rare and quiet dedication and stamina which reflects all aspects of Surh O’Connell’s life.
- Creating a Platform for Native People’s Art, TCMoFA Becomes Coast Salish Museum of Fine ArtsThurston County Museum of Fine Art is reinventing itself this year as Coast Salish Museum of Fine Art, creating a platform for native people’s art. OLY ARTS spoke to Griffin Quinn (they/them) about how this came about.
- Sandra Bocas and Toni Lawrence Fine Art Show (with a side of Hot Babe Hotsauce)by Lynette Charters Serembe Sandra Bocas has traveled extensively and lived in many different parts of the world from her country of birth, Venezuela, to Trinidad, where she moved to at the age of five and where her family lives. She went to boarding school in Wales in the UK, moved to and worked in …
- Our Cover Artist Mikaela Shafer — Recent and Past Workby Lynette Charters Serembe Mikaela Shafer is our OLY ARTS cover artist. Her beautiful and meaningful artworks will be showing recent and past works at Dog Bog Studios with her studio companions Daniel Overstreet and David Overstreet, also other Knitting Mills artists J. Hukee, Evan Clayton Horback and the ACE program artists, and guest artists …
- SPSCC 2023 Art Faculty and Staff Exhibition Through SeptemberThe SPSCC 2023 art faculty and staff exhibition is beautiful, well executed, well presented, and thought-provoking with a variety of disciplines on display. Being created by educators, the show has underlying messages. Open through September.
- The Beautiful, Chaotic and Rhythmic World of Tom FathTom Fath says when he finishes a painting it gives him moments of clarity and a sense of being on the right path, creating good from chaos. Much like his life’s journey, his art explores fears and doubts while celebrating what life has to offer.
- Middle Space at CaTMA Gallery: A Fine Art Show by Lucy Gentry and Rebecca FigelTheir works have elements in common, the most recognizable being that they are all monochrome. Gentry’s work is more playful and rhythmic, while Figel’s work is darker with more tension.
- Local GalleriesTRAVIS JOHNSON STUDIOS & GALLERY STORE Travis Johnson Studios Gallery Store is a multifaceted creative extension birthed from Johnson’s personal art practice as a painter, sculptor, and fashion designer. He thrives on cultivating curating, developing, and promoting local, regional, and international artists. His studio showcases artists in a seasonal exhibition series, and he and his …
- Review: The Half-Life of Marie Curie at Oly TheaterThe Half-Life of Marie Curie, written by Lauren Gunderson and produced by Theater Artists Olympia, is a joyful exploration of a pair of turn-of-the-century women scientists, the celebrated Marie Curie and the less well-known Hertha Ayrton.
- Review: This Old WorldThis Old World at Childhood’s End through June 11 “is a show made by artists who have lived a full life, it is eloquent, and expertly executed but is also experimental.”
- Small Creative Studios with Great Big IdeasOlympia Arts Walk is a great way to get out and see what’s going on in our vibrant city. This article highlights three places that exemplify what makes Olympia a great place to be an artist or art lover.
- Leonie Castelino and Irene Osborn at the Pacific NW Quilt & Fiber Arts Museum in La ConnorCelebrated and award-winning local sculptor Irene Osborn showing with internationally renowned contemporary bojagi artist Leonie Castelino at Pacific NW Quilt & Fiber Arts Museum in La Connor.
- Lynette Charters SerembeLynette Charters Serembe is a conceptual artist and author of The Missing Women Series book, presenting a new perspective of society and history from the female identifying point of view. She was born and grew up in The Yorkshire Dales in The North of England. She holds a BA (hons) degree from Cardiff College, Wales and an …