Lynette Charters Serembe is a conceptual artist and author of The Missing Women Series book, presenting a new perspective of society and history from the female identifying point of view. She was born and grew up in The Yorkshire Dales in The North of England. She holds a BA (hons) degree from Cardiff College, Wales and an MFA from Chelsea College of Art, London. She studied under the British painter Graham Crowley, printmaker Amanda Faulkner, and was assistant to the sculptor Andy Goldsworthy on two of his larger outdoor sculptures. She has also travelled internationally working in the animation industry. Charters has exhibited in many parts of America, most recently in Gallery 839 in Burbank LA, Fogue Gallery in Seattle, Old Courthouse Arts Center in Chicago, Ryan James Fine Arts Gallery in Kirkland, Marin County Society of Artists in the Bay Area, The Hammond Museum, NY, also exhibitions in the UK. Her solo shows often involve a museum type installation with tongue-in-cheek docent performances by actor John Serembe as docent, and Yuri Serembe as security guard. She has been featured in articles in Oly Arts, Artist Close Up, Voyage LA, Shoutout LA, The Olympian, Saundra Fleming’s arts blog, and was on the cover of Kirkland Lifestyle magazine. She currently works from her studio in Olympia, Washington.
- Review: The Half-Life of Marie Curie at Oly TheaterThe Half-Life of Marie Curie, written by Lauren Gunderson and produced by Theater Artists Olympia, is a joyful exploration of a pair of turn-of-the-century women scientists, the celebrated Marie Curie and the less well-known Hertha Ayrton.
- Review: This Old WorldThis Old World at Childhood’s End through June 11 “is a show made by artists who have lived a full life, it is eloquent, and expertly executed but is also experimental.”
- Small Creative Studios with Great Big IdeasOlympia Arts Walk is a great way to get out and see what’s going on in our vibrant city. This article highlights three places that exemplify what makes Olympia a great place to be an artist or art lover.
- Leonie Castelino and Irene Osborn at the Pacific NW Quilt & Fiber Arts Museum in La ConnorCelebrated and award-winning local sculptor Irene Osborn showing with internationally renowned contemporary bojagi artist Leonie Castelino at Pacific NW Quilt & Fiber Arts Museum in La Connor.
- Lynette Charters SerembeLynette Charters Serembe is a conceptual artist and author of The Missing Women Series book, presenting a new perspective of society and history from the female identifying point of view. She was born and grew up in The Yorkshire Dales in The North of England. She holds a BA (hons) degree from […]